New Authors

I am always looking for new authors to read. I guess that is what makes e-books so great for me. I see it as an opportunity for authors to publish that may not be able to find agent. Of course the reason why could be anything. This route has its up and downs of course. Upside, complete control. Downside, you have to make sure your work is ready and I do mean ready. That means making sure you work is edited and free of typos, and misspelling. Also, you have to advertise your book yourself with an author's presence online. Of course that also means many of these authors rely on word of mouth. One new author that I have found is Helen Harper. Harper is the author of the Blood Destiny series. She is also a self published author, and one I would highly recommend. I came across her series on amazon.com The first book in the series is Bloodfire.

First I would like to say I love that fact that the book starts off in Cornwall. I grew up in Falmouth.

Originally I simply chose the book because I am partial to urban fantasy. One reviewer on amazon referenced the Kate Daniels series, and though I agree that there a few similarities, I disagree with Harper's book being a weaker version. The similarities are why I chose to purchase the book. After all, that is why most people buy something, because it is similar to a good product that they have.

From the beginning you are introduced to the way the world works with enough back story while getting a feel for the main character Mack. Mack is a feisty human woman who has been raised and trained by the pack leader in Cornwall. The fact that she lives with the pack is a secret and when other packs are around she either hides away or uses a lotion that makes her smell like a hamster. Yes I said hamster, which just adds a little humor to her situation. Upon her father figure's death her world unravels, especially when the Leader for all shifters shows up to investigate. She finds him infuriating as well as attractive. Her lack of filter makes the situation funny.

The story moves along without any gaps and as weird as it sounds is believable. Yea Yea, I know fantasy is something made up, but a good story for me is one that is believable in the context of the world created. Weres, vampires, etc... they are all living in a world that doesn't know about them, and it is explained as to how they keep it that way. The use of local legends such as the beast in Exmoor aided in the world building.
Overall I enjoyed the book enough to buy the series. Each one built on the story that was introduced to us in the first one. I would recommend the series to the anyone looking for a new author to read. Currently I am reading a new series of Harper's the Bo Blackman series. So far I would have to say that I am going to like this book as well. Below is the information for Bloodfire, check it out and enjoy.


"Mackenzie Smith has always known that she was different. Growing up as the only human in a pack of rural shapeshifters will do that to you, but then couple it with some mean fighting skills and a fiery temper and you end up with a woman that few will dare to cross. However, when the only father figure in her life is brutally murdered, and the dangerous Brethren with their predatory Lord Alpha come to investigate, Mack has to not only ensure the physical safety of her adopted family by hiding her apparent humanity, she also has to seek the blood-soaked vengeance that she craves."

Popular Posts