Back to work

Well after the start of school, work, and then spring break it is time to do some more reading. So I search Amazon.

I started off with Assassin Queen by Chandra Ryan.



Ryan introduces Lilavati a princess without a home. On the promise of a new child she is forced to choose exile as a teenager or face her own death. Surviving a new harsher life Lilavati has become a deadly assassin. Upon hearing of her mother's death she hatches a plan to carry out her vengeance against the creator of her banishment, her step-father.
Helping her are the men she has worked with the past ten years and the sorcerer Kirin. A man who wants her even if she keeps him at bay with a long ago made promise to another.
As she returns to carry out her plan she finds her kingdom in ruins and another plotting against her. An easy assassination turns out to be a little bit more complicated. Old promises betrayed and new love adds even more.

First impression this books sounds good so I began to read. The story starts off really well with a fight scene introducing us to how deadly the main character and her friends can be.  It also introduces the enemy pretty quickly. I liked the character immediately and saw that Lilavati and Kirin would make an awesome couple,both snarky with quick comebacks.
The scenes themselves flowed one into another well, and the pace was very good. There was never a dull  moment. I even liked that there was a bit of her past as an assassin that came back to haunt her so to speak.

 However as much as enjoyed the book, I also found it a quick read. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. I just felt that there could have been more, and was kind of expecting more.
The ending was to me was I think a little to easy for the main character, as well as the journey towards it.
I think there could have been a little more  to the story, I wanted to really see the confrontation between the stepfather and Lili. This was the man that banished her from her home, someone she wanted to kill and yet it wasn't there. There was no interaction between her and the half sibling that never met.
It would be a hopeful thing to perhaps see a sequel for this book showing that interaction and how Lili adjusts to being a ruler and rebuilds her kingdom. There is possibilities to another adventure with the mention of the circling neighboring kingdoms, as well as Kirin's own origins.

Overall recommendations:
If you are looking for a quick but good read then this would suit.
Would I read more from this author?  Yes I would.
From an Amazon perspective I gave it 4 stars.

Popular Posts